Health Advisor – Ethiopia | ReliefWeb
Responsible for the strategic design, planning and technical oversight of all health and nutrition programs at country level. Takes initiative to technically represent the organization in national bodies, coordinates with technical stakeholders and donors, identifies areas for quality improvement or expansion of programming to meet critical needs of targeted communities.
International call for medical teams:
By daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break down barriers to health and restore wholeness to a hurting world.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the development of health and nutrition strategies, models and standards at the level of national organizations for the implementation of field teams
- Ensure programs and projects are aligned with medical teams strategy, core service package and interventions based on best available evidence and international standards.
- Work closely with the Country Director, senior management and field teams to identify strategic health and nutrition needs in targeted communities or gaps in the health and nutrition response at the national level
- Work closely with health and nutrition leaders to support and advocate for the operational needs of health and nutrition programs
- Line-manage the Nutrition Coordinator to ensure well-coordinated multi-sectoral program design and that quality oversight and implementation support is provided
- Contextualize and adapt global guidelines, tools and protocols to meet local clinical needs for program implementation and training with support from HQ Health Advisor
- Monitor health information systems and data management as carried out by M&E teams to ensure they are regularly analyzed and meet the needs of health teams
- Support health and nutrition officers and other health personnel to address issues and respond to emerging needs
- Monitor and evaluate health and nutrition services against accepted international humanitarian standards and ensure application of evidence-based practices to deliver high quality services to targeted communities
- Assist in staff recruitment with Senior Management, Program Manager/Field Coordinators and Health Nutrition Officers and provide training and capacity building to technical health staff based on assessed needs
- Liaise with logistics teams to support medical supplies and pharmaceutical supply chains, including technical aspects of procurement, warehousing, consumption tracking and pharmaceutical projections
- Represent MTI at regional and country level health and nutrition coordination meetings, working group meetings and other partner coordination meetings and communicate relevant information to the country office team and the headquarters technical team
- Maintain relationships as the first point of contact with the Ministry of Health and local health authorities, donor technical teams and partners
- Act as a last line clinical consultant and make recommendations for referrals to specialized care
- Support site and donor reporting leading to data analysis and response to achievements or gaps
- Work with management and partner agencies for epidemic and emergency preparedness and contingency planning
- Serve as technical lead or manage delegate for planning, implementation and evaluation reporting
- Lead sector strategy and project design development for new donor proposals and budgeting processes, including support for logframes and monitoring and evaluation plans with the M&E team
- Ensure direct reports have clear goals, receive mentorship and participate in capacity building opportunities
- Conduct performance reviews and apply disciplinary procedures in accordance with MTI policy
- Ensure the protection of program participants and employees by promoting an environment of awareness and adhering to the provisions of the code of conduct for the protection of medical teams against sexual exploitation and abuse, the protection of children and vulnerable adults and the harassment-free work policies
- Other assigned duties
EDUCATION, LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- A Doctor of Medicine (MD) or other relevant clinical degree is required
- Postdoctoral training in public health is an added advantage
- Minimum 2 years of progressive responsibility in international humanitarian programs
- Minimum 2 years of senior management related to primary, maternal and child health, reproductive health and communicable diseases in humanitarian or development programming, with at least one year in a humanitarian context in an NGO.
- Experience with an international NGO or UN agency is required
- Experience outside the home country is desired
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles and operations and project cycle management
- The knowledge of [Country] Ministry of Health, WHO and United Nations health systems and policies
- Solid knowledge of evidence-based practices in health and nutrition in humanitarian contexts
- Basic knowledge of principles and current approaches to monitoring and evaluation of relief and development programs
- Proficient in communications using email, apps including Teams, and WhatsApp
- Project cycle management skills
- Skills in building capacity and mobilizing staff to achieve a common goal
- Relationship building skills with the ability to liaise with multiple partner agencies
- Ability to use HIS and HMIS database systems
- Skills in data analysis and writing proposals and reports
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strategic thinker with analytical skills
- Keen interest in mentoring others
- Ability to travel to health facilities frequently and sometimes on short notice
- Ability to exercise considerable initiative to plan, organize and track deadlines
- Ability to support MTI Calling and adhere to the MTI Code of Conduct
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
This position requires frequent travel to health facilities located in remote areas with very basic living conditions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters in performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The noise level in the working environment is generally moderately quiet.
- The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited sanitation facilities, extremely hot or cold temperatures and very basic living conditions.
How to register
Click on HERE to apply on our website!
If the link above does not load, please view all of our current job postings at medicalteams.org/career/
Comments are closed.